30.12.11

the wonder.


I haven't been able to stop listening to this guy all day.  Sure, it's cliche to love Stevie Wonder, but I can remember obsessing over him from a young age.  I grew up in a house where we listened to oldies ALL THE TIME.  You know, The Beatles, Chicago, and, yes, Stevie.  And as I've grown older, I have really come to appreciate him and his music.

For someone who couldn't see, he understood true beauty and he really felt his music.  My favorite song, Ebony Eyes, is so interesting to listen to; he talks about things as if he could really see them.  And for all I know, he did see them, in his own way.  But he saw and felt beauty in a way very unaffected from the world.  I love that.  He has a way of making women feel beautiful and great...to him, beauty was a personality, a way of being treated.

 Now I'm not going to give all the usual BS about how girls hate being called hot, they would rather be called beautiful...shut up.  Women everywhere, unless I'm very very very mistaken, love being referred to as hot.  It's a dream come true.  But when I hear Stevie talk about a "devestatin' beauty", I somehow get the butterflies.  He never complains or dwells on the fact that he can't physically see the beauty, but he sure can feel it.

Sorry Usher and Pitbull.  Talking about thongs and boobs isn't going to make me love you (but I do love your songs, I promise).  Stevie has my heart, and for all he knows, I could have ebony eyes.

Here is my goal: to stop looking with my eyes and start feeling with my heart.  If I was blind for a day, who would I want to be seen with?  Who would I want to spend my time with?  If appearance didn't matter, how different a person would I be?  Just some things to ponder.  Now, go listen to the Wonder. It might put you in a better mood (try Sir Duke, Living For the City, and, of course, Ebony Eyes).


No comments:

Post a Comment