2.1.12

auld lang syne.

Well folks, it's come to an end.  I spent the magical night with a good friend here in the deep south - she was kind enough to extend the hand of friendship and brighten my night.  We had a jolly good time porking out on pizza, shopping at Target for various items (she bought adorable shoes, I bought red bull), sweating a little too much whilst enjoying the art of Just Dance 3, making darling earings (now that I'm a big girl and can actually wear them), honoring the incredible work of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, and, of course, watching the ball drop.  No New Year's kiss for me.  No sir.  My rez for 2012 is to have a New Year's kiss this December 31st.    

the ingredients of the night.
thanks for the glamour shot, B <3

But that's not all.  In the past, I have never really been one to sit down and think about what particular things I want to change or improve during the next year and make a list.  I'm more of a roll-with-the-punches kind of girl, and I jot down daily goals in my journal or on a scrap of a church program.  Those goals, however, accumulate, and late one night last week, I had an epiphany of sorts.  If I sorted through all those goals I wrote down regularly, I was bound to find a pattern.  So, here is an accumulation of goals and thoughts  I documented throughout 2011 and that I have yet to accomplish.  Let's go, 2012, prove me honest:

Learn Patience
I tend to let the little things bother me.  Of course I realize that the weaknesses I pick out in others ail me too.  I know I'm a hypocrite.  Deep down.  But on the surface, I stress out and crack.  This past week has really given me the opportunity to realize how damaging that is.  People cut me slack daily, so I need to do the same for others.    

Be Kind
There has forever (forever meaning 7 years, of course) been a large influence in my life, and I'm sure she has no idea the affect she has had on my life.  But I strive and long to live my life as she does.  She is the girl that all people love immediately because she demonstrates such a genuine interest in other's lives and I never once saw her act in a cruel or beguiling way.  How many people have I turned off in my life because of petty comments or fake encounters?  I hate to think of that.  So, from here on out, I want to show people I care.  I could make their day, in turn making mine.  Kill two birds with one stone.  Bam. 

Become Who I'm Meant to Be
I can't count the times I've collapsed on the couch and dramatically proclaimed to my roommates my first world problems.  Haha.  The list, I'm sure, includes comments such as:
"Why do no boys like me?"
"Why do I have no clothes?"
"Why can't I lose weight?"
"Why do I have to go to class?"
"Can I drop out of school?"
Wow I'm embarrassed even reading this (this whole resolution/reflection thing is all it's cracked up to be, guys).  I am so lucky to have all the opportunities I do!  I have no idea how I got into BYU, but I did, so it's time to take advantage of that.  I don't know how I was lucky enough to be born into a family that could supply for all my needs and more, but I was so I need to stop complaining and give back.  So here's what this all boils down to.  If I want others to be attracted to me and, most importantly, if I want to be happy and pleased with myself, I need to get my priorities straight.  This is perhaps the most important of my goals, for everything after this will fall into place.  I need to put Jesus Christ (and this is where I'm starting to sound like all those Facebook weirdos that always post about their love of Christ and God and blah blah blah...we get it, so stop.  But I promise, I'm different from them) first and do all that I'm asked to do in my church.  I need to say my prayers daily, giving thanks for all I have and asking for help in my daily life.  Yikes, this is getting way too long.  And too serious.  Summary: live the most righteous life I can and be happy. 

I would love to keep going, but these three were a condensed version of everything I thought I needed to work on.  They include a lot, sure, but I'm so excited to get started!  I know this is kind of an unconventional, broad way of approaching NYResolutions, but if it works, then I'll be proud.  I'll keep you updated throughout the year.  



    



2 comments:

  1. i love this!!!
    i CANNOT wait to see you in 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the same person. Good luck with your rezes!

    ReplyDelete