13.5.13

daisy buchanan || a beautiful little fool

You guys, The Great Gatsby.

Throughout the entire viewing of the show - which, of course, we dressed up for - I was so enthralled with the glitz and glam of Baz Luhrman's latest masterpiece.  I could not stop idolizing Leo, all the Prada dresses, the swing-time music, Leo, Daisy and HER RING my gosh that thing was gorg, Leo, the amazing mansions that had me thinking yes it's ddddefinitely OK to marry an older man just for his money...and I mean however old it requires and, of course, Leo.  


Let's talk about Daisy.  First off, Carey Mulligan was on point with her roll as the darling southern belle socialite that landed a millionaire as a husband.  Secondly, why can't I be her? I mean, I get that she kind of has zero morals, a child she doesn't care about, and would be today's equivalent of a drunken Real Housewife, but by golly I will idolize her all the more for it.  She represents the way that all women want to be loved.  Because of her, a man became a millionaire and drove himself crazy by showering her with love.  I mean, I came pretty close to this last week when my dad slipped me a twenty to go buy lunch...



And I get that the story is supposed to discourage people from the ritzy life of the drunken millionaires and socialites of the day, BUT IT DID A TERRIBLE JOB OF CONVINCING ME because raise your hand if after you saw that movie, you thought to yourself, "Wow, that life looks terrible." Exactly. We would all give a loved one away if we could spend just a day yachting with the rich and famous Wall Streeters and Bootleggers from Fitzgerald's 1920's. And I would give a whole lot more to see Leo raise a glass to me at a party with fireworks booming behind him.  Oh what a dream. 



"I hope she'll be a fool--that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool... "
-Daisy Buchanan






No comments:

Post a Comment